Transportation and Freight Logistics
Work through the challenges that face domestic and global freight transporters.
Ask how globalisation, 9/11 and the Iraq War have impacted freight logistics. Get a snapshot of the transportation systems available across land, air, sea and pipeline.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 30 Aug 2021
Australia's largest dual-sector institute, offering both TAFE and higher education, RMIT University proudly delivers work-related education and practical research relevant to current business and community needs. More than 60,000 students study with RMIT, and many of their degrees are available through Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject you will be able to:
- Implement appropriate principles for logistic operations, both locally and for international transport logistics.
- Develop and implement domestic and international freight transportation strategies to facilitate effective supply chain operations.
- Review and evaluate various freight transportation and freight logistics solutions using appropriate assessment methods to rationalise both domestic and international freight transportation and logistics networks.
- Develop and apply appropriate leadership and organising abilities in leveraging resources.
- Communicate and work with others effectively to resolve problems in freight transportation and supply chain management.
- Please refer to RMIT University’s Learning Management System - Canvas, for further details.
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
No special requirements
Freight transportation plays a critical role in any supply chain as it fulfils time and place utility of goods i.e. delivers products and services to where and when they are required. Significant global changes (globalisation, civil and social unrests, climatic changes etc) have made major impacts on the logistics environment thus making proper management of this function a necessity.
This subject will look into the important issues in domestic and global transportation which include freight transportation planning and operations, transportation infrastructure and regulations, selection of freight transportation carriers and third party suppliers, freight transportation costing, freight transportation strategies, and information technology in freight transportation.
- Assessment Task 1 (Linked CLOs: 1, 2, 3) (20%)
- Assessment Task 2 (Linked CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) (30%)
- Assessment Task 3 (Linked CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4) (50%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.