Progress a profession in programming. Get hands-on experience and work with teams developing software in a commercial project setting. Integrate formal project management methods. Track and manage project process from concept to implementation.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Australia's largest dual-sector institute, offering both TAFE and higher education, RMIT University proudly delivers work-related education and practical research relevant to current business and community needs. More than 60,000 students study with RMIT, and many of their degrees are available through Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On completion of this subject you should have:
- Apply knowledge of the key principles of project management to a significant IT project, choose a suitable development methodology, design and deliver industry standard software and documentation
- Analyse and solve a problem requiring an IT solution, propose and evaluate alternative approaches by conducting experiments, collecting data, identifying and evaluating the appropriate development tools and frameworks
- Work collaboratively and effectively in a team environment to plan and implement project requirements, participating as a team member and/or team leader and demonstrating understanding of the team dynamic that is critical to your project’s success
- Negotiate the project deliverables and milestones and assume responsibility for a successful outcome
- Communicate with clients in a professional manner, delivering presentations and writing technical research reports using the appropriate language of the field.
- Project and Group Formation
- Project Specification, System Design and Planning
- Preliminary Implementation, Discussion of Technical Issues
- Review of project specification, design and planning
- Review and discussion of system implementation
- Design refinement. Preparation of documentation
- System Implementation. Planning of system test
- Progress Review. Group discussion of Technical Issues
- Draft documentation. System test and refinement
- Review of project documentation and system test
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:andand
- Other requirements -
Stable broadband connection required to access online learning materials and live chat sessions/recordings. (note: mobile broadband users may have difficulties participating in live chat sessions)
Due to the group-work project focus in this unit students will be expected to maintain regular contact with their project group/supervisor via online chat or teleconferencing on a regular basis.
This subject is designed to provide you with hands on practical experience developing software in a project environment. You work in teams and will complete projects from inception to implementation.
This subject includes a Work Integrated Learning (WIL) experience in which your knowledge and skills will be applied and assessed in a real or simulated workplace context and where feedback from industry and/ or community is integral to your experience.
As the project teams and projects will be assigned during the first week all enrolled students are advised to engage with the subject from the beginning of week 1.
Please note: This subject is considered to be a capstone subject for the Bachelor of Information Technology degree in which students demonstrate their competency in a (simulated) Work Integrated Learning (WIL) environment.
All students seeking the Bachelor of Information Technology award will need to complete this subject.
- Group Project (100%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.