Leadership and Management
Compare early theories of management with modern approaches to leadership.Think critically about the qualities typically associated with people in leadership positions. Understand the importance of being self-aware and emotionally aware.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
Upon successful completion of this subject you are able to:
- recognise the appropriateness of different types of leadership styles in a range of organisational settings
- accurately assess your personal strengths and areas of challenge and effectively self-manage these towards improved practice
- explain how effective managerial leaders are able to diagnose and ethically improve the key areas of organisational functioning
- motivate and influence others in ways that contribute to sustainable organisational performance.
- Managerial leadership and sound reasoning
- The paradoxes of management
- The complexities of business
- The challenges of leadership
- The lessons of practice
- Self awareness
- Emotional awareness
- Cultural awareness
- Setting goals and objectives
- Motivating and developing
- Influencing and communicating
- Improving and mastering
This subject aims to develop understandings and skills adequate to the complexities of being a managerial leader. The subject covers leadership and management from early theories to contemporary perspectives. The subject provides you with a conceptually rich framework for designing managerial leadership effectiveness within organisational contexts. The subject aims to enable you to think creatively about the capabilities required of professional managerial leaders, with an emphasis on self-development related to becoming workplace ready.
- Problem Solving Task (50%)
- Case Study (35%)
- Weekly Online Participation (15%)