Interrogate the Australian justice system and the legal policies, past and present, that affect it. Run through some of the ethical dilemmas that lawyers face. Shine the spotlight on inventive approaches professionals use to tackle legal problems.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
- 15 Jul 2019
On successful completion of this degree you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate aspects of the Australian Justice System and suggest innovative solutions to assist court and commsubjecty users
- Critique theories relevant to legal innovation and reform
- Demonstrate skills in developing legal policy through exploration of innovations within the Australian Justice System
- Reflect on ethical dilemmas that may arise in innovative legal reforms
- Show effective, appropriate and persuasive collaboration and communication skills for legal and non-legal audiences when engaging with a policy simulation.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this unit will be provided in your study materials.
- Audio-Video streaming
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s); or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
No special requirements
New ways of approaching traditional legal problems are being introduced into Australian civil and criminal justice system.
These new methods are underpinned by theories of procedural justice, restorative justice, therapeutic jurisprudence and the availability of new technology. New strategies to address access to justice, appropriate dispute resolution and the rise of self-represented litigants are also emerging. An understanding of the development of legal policy and the role policy can play in law reform is valuable
when considering innovation in the justice system.
Additionally, ethical dilemmas relating to innovation are important for future legal practitioners to consider. This degree will explore the ways innovations are developed in the Australian Justice System and assist you to critically engage with policy development and ethical concerns that may arise when developing innovative solutions.
- Assignment 1 (40%)
- Assignment 2 (20%)
- Assignment 3 (40%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: