Interrogate the Australian justice system and the legal policies, past and present, that affect it. Run through some of the ethical dilemmas that lawyers face. Shine the spotlight on inventive approaches professionals use to tackle legal problems.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 19 Jul 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate aspects of the Australian Justice System and suggest innovative solutions to assist court and community users
- Apply and evaluate research methods to research legal problems.
- Demonstrate intellectual skills in research to critically evaluate legal problems and develop legal policy through exploration of innovations within the Australian Justice System.
- Demonstrate effective, appropriate and persuasive collaboration and communication skills for legal and non-legal audiences when engaging with a practical policy simulation.
- Design and plan a project, including development and testing of research questions, and obtaining and assimilating scholarly material from a range of sources to produce a substantial contribution to research.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this unit will be provided in your study materials.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No special requirements
New ways of approaching traditional legal problems are being introduced into Australian civil and criminal justice systems. These new methods are underpinned by theories of procedural justice, restorative justice and therapeutic jurisprudence, and by the availability of new technology. New strategies to address access to justice, appropriate dispute resolution and the rise of self-represented litigants are also emerging. An understanding of the development of legal policy and the role policy can play in law reform is valuable when considering innovation in the justice system. The course will explore research methods that provide analysis of data to engage with law reform. You will conduct a research project to explore the ways innovations are developed in the Australian Justice System and critically engage with issues of legal principle and policy central to developing innovative solutions to justice challenges. The course will require you to undertake research of a postgraduate standard and further develop your skills in legal methodology.
- Assignment 1 (30%)
- Assignment 2 (20%)
- Assignment 3 (50%)
Current study term: 18 Jul 21 to 24 Oct 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.