Entrepreneurship and New Venture Creation
Foster an entrepreneurial mindset as you consider the research and planning that goes into new business ventures. Study topics like commercialisation, growth management and deal structures.Recognise a new venture’s legal and financial issues.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
- 16 Nov 2020
On completion of the subject, you will have developed a better understanding of the practice of Entrepreneurship and New Venture Creation, in particular you will:
- have critical insights into the issues surrounding the development of new business ventures
- understand “the entrepreneurial mindset”
- demonstrate better appreciation of strategies regarding business development and the commercialisation of new products and ideas
- understand the information and economic needs pertaining to the lifecycle of new business projects and ventures
- have developed an understanding of the relationship between good management, good strategies and new business ventures
- better appreciate the dynamics between economic development and the growth of new businesses
- show better understanding of the relationships between knowledge, ideas and value-added business processes
- develop the ability to appreciate the potential synergies with a product portfolio.
This subject is practical, applied and fuses theoretical concepts with the practical issues confronted in turning creative ideas into commercial reality. It encourages you to think creatively and strategically as you search for solutions to your problems. As a consequence, you will become better managers and users of ideas, time, people, finance and other resources. Through immersion in the business processes, you will develop your critical and analytical attitudes in framing strategies.
- Introduction and Entrepreneurship
- The Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Opportunity, Creativity and Innovation
- New Venture Creation
- Legal Issues in New Venture Creation
- Financial Issues in New Venture Creation
- New Venture Work in Progress
- Marketing Issues for New Venture Creation
- Performance Measurement for New Ventures
- Preparing the Business Plan, Information and Advice and "The Pitch"
- Strategic Entrepreneurial Growth
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Web links
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
New business ventures and entrepreneurship are exciting challenges in business practice. Your developmental and research work for new business ventures can be quite complex before the effective commercialisation of new products. You are encouraged to develop “the entrepreneurial mindset”. You will deal with the issues which arise in the transformation, production and commercialisation of new business ventures. You will draw from perspectives derived from innovation and entrepreneurial development, link technology, products and markets in practical terms, and reflect and analyse critically your strategic business decisions and plans.
Specific topics include: entrepreneurship, innovation, new venture creation, information sources, advisory services, using consultants, the role of government, preparing the business plan, financial issues in new venture creation, legal issues in new venture creation, acquiring an existing business, LBO’s, deal structure, and managing the growth enterprise.
- Theory and practice paper (25%)
- Theory & practice presentation (15%)
- Class participation (10%)
- Proposal/Pitch (50%)
Textbook information is pending.