Consider the requirements for liability, homicide, assault, sexual and property offences, attempts and complicity. Comprehend procedural aspects such as offence classification, compel to appear, bail and preliminary trial of indictable offences.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 18 Jul 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced and integrated understanding of the fundamental doctrines and principles that underpin the criminal law and procedure
- Critically evaluate the criminal law as well as the institutions that create, administer and interpret the law and identify areas of reform
- Analyse complex problems relating to the criminal law and procedure to generate appropriate responses.
- Please refer to RMIT University’s Learning Management System - Canvas, for further details
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or enrol in the following subject(s) to study at the same time or prior to this subject:
No additional requirements
This subject is an examination of the principles and elements of the criminal law. The subject examines the requirements for criminal liability, the offences of homicide and assault, sexual offences, property offences, the law of attempts and complicity in crime, criminal defences and procedural aspects of the criminal law. Students will develop an appreciation of the substantive criminal law and procedural aspects such as classification of offences, process to compel appearance, bail, preliminary examination and trial of indictable offences.
The assessment alignment list below shows the assessment tasks against the learning outcomes they develop. Feedback will be provided throughout the semester in class and/or in online forums through individual and group feedback on practical exercises and by individual consultation.
- Assessment Task 1 - Linked CLOs: 1, 3 (20%)
- Assessment Task 2 - Linked CLOs: 1, 2 (30%)
- Invigilated Examination - Linked CLOs: 1, 2, 3 (50%)
Current study term: 17 Jul 22 to 23 Oct 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.