Grasp the intricacies of the commencement of proceedings. Follow the service of process, joinder of claims, pleadings, group and representative actions, discovery and other interlocutory proceedings, enforcement, appeals and costs.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 28 Feb 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On successful completion of this subject you will be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced and integrated understanding of the procedural rules of civil litigation;
- Critically evaluate the civil procedure system and identify areas of reform such as case management, access to justice and legal ethics concerns;
- Analyse and research complex problems relating to civil procedure and make reasoned and appropriate choices amongst alternatives;
- Demonstrate sophisticated cognitive and creative skills in approaching legal issues relating to civil procedure and generate appropriate responses;
- Show effective, appropriate and persuasive collaboration and communication skills for legal and non-legal audiences through engagement with drafting and advocacy simulations.
- Please refer to RMIT University’s Learning Management System - Canvas, for further details.
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
No additional requirements
This subject studies the rules of civil procedure that include commencement of proceedings and service of process, joinder of claims, pleadings, group and representative actions, discovery and other interlocutory proceedings, judgment, enforcement, appeals, and costs. Emphasis will also be given to the issue of reform of the civil justice system including case management systems, access to justice and lawyers’ ethics. The subject engages with the practical legal skills of drafting and mooting.
- Assessment Task 1 (Linked CLOs: 1, 2, 3, ) (20%)
- Assessment Task 2 (Linked CLOs: 1, 3, 5) (30%)
- Open Book Invigilated Exam (Linked CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4) (50%)
Current study term: 27 Feb 22 to 05 Jun 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.