- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this unit will be provided in your study materials.
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Web links
- Online assignment submission
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
- RMI-MPAC30-Contemporary Financial and Integrated Reporting
- RMI-MPAC10-Accounting, Accountability and Society
No special requirements
Please note: This subject was previously titled Contemporary Accounting Thought.
The purpose of this subject is to introduce you to the context of theoretical and empirical underpinning of financial accounting and professional ethics in accounting. The subject links theory to research and practice.
The behaviour of those responsible for preparing financial accounting information and those who use this information are interpreted through application of different accounting theories. As such, it addresses the 'why' question in financial accounting rather than the 'how'. Further, moral dimensions and ethical aspects of professionals in financial services are reasoned through the lenses of various theories and principles. This reinforces the role of financial service professionals in the competitive and complex business environment and their significance to the society. A number of contemporary accounting and ethical issues are examined to illustrate these ideas.
- Assignment 1 - Final Exam (50%)
- Assignment 2 - Individual Written Report (20%)
- Assignment 3 - Individual Case Study (30%)