Principles of Computer Science
Cover computer science fundamentals– from implementing object-oriented programming, to range checking, error-handling, recursive solutions, search algorithms and more. Use arrays, strings, files, lists, stacks, queues and hierarchy with confidence.
Your upfront cost: $0
Subjects may require attendance
- 26 Aug 2019
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
On successful completion of the subject you should be able to:
- design, implement, test and document solutions to problems using the sequence, selection and iteration constructs of structured programming
- explain the object-oriented programming paradigm
- use the object-oriented programming approach to design, implement, test and document solutions to problems
- demonstrate an understanding of the mechanics of parameter passing in the context of object-oriented programming
- explain how class mechanism supports encapsulation and information hiding
- design and implement appropriate classes for modelling a given problem
- explain the need for range checking and error handling and be able to write robust programs that implement these features
- design, implement and test the implementation of the hierarchical relationship among objects using a simple class hierarchy and inheritance
- explain event-driven programming and be able to describe the behaviour of simple GUI programs
- write object-oriented programs that use each of the following: arrays, strings, files, lists, stacks and queues
- explain algorithm complexity and the need for selecting appropriate algorithms and structures for a given problem
- implement searching and sorting algorithms in a programming language
- explain the concept of recursion and be able to write recursive solutions for simple to intermediate problems.
- Introduction and Program Design
- Defining Classes and Methods
- Basics of OOP
- Programming with Methods
- Programming with Classes
- Inheritance, and introduction to Event-driven programming
- Exception Handling
- Streams and File I/O
- More on Algorithms, Introduction to Recursion
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject is designed to develop the skills of problem solving and program design using an Object Oriented programming language. Major topics include: algorithm design; procedural abstractions; the use of libraries as collection of black-box code modules; the concepts of pre- and post- conditions; strings, arrays, introduction to object-oriented concepts including data abstraction, encapsulation, classes and object references, inheritance; introduction to recursion; streams and file input and output; the definition and use of common classes - lists, stack and queues.
- Assignment 1 (20%)
- Assignment 2 (20%)
- Invigilated Exam (50%)
- Laboratory Assignment (10%)
Textbook information is pending.