- Greenhouse gas (GHG) and energy reporting methodologies.
- Drivers and frameworks for national GHG inventories
- Australian National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme (NGERS)
- Calculations of GHG inventories and carbon footprints for local government and communities
- Concepts and methodologies for Life-cycle assessments (LCA).
- Process LCA, economic input-output analysis (IOA) LCA and hybrid LCA.
- GHG inventory and LCA use for accreditation.
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Book of readings
A completed bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in any discipline from a recognised university (or another tertiary education institution of equivalent standing).
No special requirements
This subject looks at the approaches for calculating and reporting greenhouse gas (GHG) inventories and lifecycle emissions at national, entity and even product level. The first part presents the elements of rigorous GHG and energy reporting methodologies using the Australian National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Scheme as a case study. The second part covers the concepts and methodologies related to life cycle assessment (LCA). Its use is illustrated by examining case studies including LCA of renewable electricity, transport and oil.
The assessment for this subject comprises of the following elements: * Assignment 1: An assignment given to test student's understanding of the NGERS guidelines to calculate GHG emissions inventories at the entity level. (20%) * Assignment 2: An assignment given to test student understanding of the use of LCA tools (based on process and economic input-output) and LCA report writing. (40%) * Examination: A final, open book invigilated exam tests student competence on the application of the concepts learned in the unit. Timely feedback is provided on each of these assessment items to assist the learning process. (40%)
- Mid-semester assignment (20%)
- End-of-semester assignment (40%)
- Open book invigilated exam (40%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.