Foundations of Computer Systems
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jul 2021
This research-based university in Perth has a strong interdisciplinary focus and a reputation for outstanding teaching and ground-breaking research. With more than 22,000 students and 2,000 staff from over 90 countries, and campuses in Dubai and Singapore, Murdoch embraces free thinking, shared ideas and knowledge to make a difference, and Open Universities Australia is certainly part of that.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of the subject, you should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the context in which computer systems exist and the purposes for which they are designed and built
- describe the fundamental concepts of computer systems with reference to the hardware and software
- demonstrate an understanding of how a modern computer systems are built
- demonstrate an understanding of how computer languages are executed at the hardware layer of a computer
- describe the major roles played by IT professionals and how they relate to computer systems.
- Digital logic
- Memory Storage
- Processing paradigms
- Operating systems
- Programming languages
- Systems development
- Professional ethics
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject introduces students to the fundamentals of computer systems and how they underpin IT infrastructures supporting enterprise processes. Topics include digital logic, memory, storage, processing paradigms, operating systems, programming languages, systems development, deployment and professional ethics. Students will acquire understanding of a computer system's functional components, their characteristics, performance, interactions and use in IT, plus an appreciation of the role of the IT professional in IT systems.
Please Note: All students studying at Murdoch University will need to complete the compulsory unit, Murdoch Academic Passport (MAP100), which only takes 2-3 hours to complete online. Find out more: http://goto.murdoch.edu.au/MurdochAcademicPassport.
Assessment in this subject will involve several different tasks. There will be online exercises based on the workshop exercises each week, worth a total of 10%. There will be two assignments, with a combined weighting of 40%. The first assignment will address the fundamentals of computer systems and the second will take a broader view of computer systems and their role in larger systems. The final 50% of the assessment in the subject will be an examination that will address the theoretical component of the subject. All students will have access to a tutor who will be their primary source of feedback on their progress in the subject.
- Weekly Quiz (10%%)
- Assignments (40%%)
- Final online examination (50%%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 29 Oct 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.