Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
The Athenian Empire 510-404 BC
Track the fortunes of the Athenian Empire throughout 5th century BC.Dig through the history of the Ionian Revolt and the Peloponnesian War. Draft compelling historical essays. Sniff out traces of overt or hidden bias in ancient source documents.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
1. Understand and remember primary source material (literary, epigraphic and archaeological) relating to Athens and Greece from 510 - 404 BC
2. Study and interpret primary literary sources in translation relating to Athens and Greece from 510 - 404 BC
3. Study and interpret epigraphic sources in translation relating to Athens and Greece from 510 - 404 BC
4. Study and interpret published archaeological material relating to Athens and Greece from 510 - 404 BC
5. Read and evaluate modern academic studies of Athens and the Athenian empire in English
6. Write analytical and argumentative studies relating to important questions in Greek history
7. Present written work to a high standard, with relevant footnoting and accurate bibliography
- The development of Athens into an imperial power;
- its administration, laws, finances and how power was exercised
- based on close examination of literary, epigraphic and archaeological evidence
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
Must hold a Bachelor's degree from a recognised tertiary institution; international students require IELTS of 6.5.
- OtherDetails -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as HST820 The Athenian Empire 510-404 BC.
This subject provides an in-depth study of Athens and its empire in the fifth century BC, commencing with Cleisthenes' reforms. Athens' role in the Persian wars will be discussed, and the evidence (documentary and literary) for the Delian League will be studied from the foundation of the league until its dissolution with the defeat of Athens in the Peloponnesian War.
- Blogs (1500 words in total) (10%)
- Presentation/Minor Essay (1500 words) (40%)
- Presentation/Major Essay (2500 words) (50%)