Social Impact Assessment
Understand how social impact assessment can help stakeholders with different world-views find common ground.Explore the difficulties that can arise during cross-cultural negotiations. Pick apart case studies that deal with issues like native title.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 24 Jul 2023
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
On successful completion you will be able to:
- Explain the theory underpinning SIA and its role and use in practice
- Recognise key social impact issues that occur in land use development and public policy assessment
- Apply knowledge and key concepts from social impact assessment to critical evaluation of planning and policy decisions
- Identify and discuss ways of integrating social issues into public sector discourse and practice
- Research and discuss complex ideas about social change, social process and assessment of social impacts
- Recognise ethical issues and risks in evaluation and impact assessment
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-GEOX802-Social Impact Assessment and Cross-Cultural Negotiation (No longer available)
Admission to MPASR (OUA) or GradDipPASR (OUA) or MPSP (OUA) NCCW (pre-2020 units) GEOP802, HGEO802, GEOX802
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA subjects offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in subjects through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as GEOX802 Social Impact Assessment and Cross-Cultural Negotiation.
Social impact assessment (SIA) is an important assessment tool which applies social science methodologies to the evaluation of a wide range of public policy proposals, including those relating to land use planning, social policies and public health. This unit addresses the theory and methods of SIA, discusses the public policy processes which use this assessment, and applies a critical perspective to the ethical dilemmas facing the SIA practitioner. There is a practical focus to the course work through the use of current case studies, and this provides students with an insight into pressures and political difficulties frequently encountered. Students will learn how to recognise and respond to these problems, and present issues to non-specialist audiences.
- Visaul representation of key SIA issues (30%)
- Critique of a case study (40%)
- Research Essay (30%)
Current study term: 23 Jul 23 to 05 Nov 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.