Issues in Early Childhood Policy and Pedagogy
Immerse yourself in current issues and debates affecting pedagogy, practice, politics and policy. Critique relevant literature, analyse alternative perspectives and establish your personal position regarding emerging trends in this area.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- refine your professional understandings and skills in early childhood pedagogy and policy by applying high order analytical skills
- examine current issues impacting on policy and pedagogy in early childhood n an integrated way to identify alternative perspectives
- critically review relevant literature when appraising complex policy and pedagogical issues as an educational leader in early childhood settings
- investigate complex information, concepts, and theories in order to establish a personal position regarding emerging trends in the early childhood arena.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics in this unit will be provided in the study materials.
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-ECEX822 (Not currently available)
- MAQ-ECHX822-Issues in Early Childhood Policy and Pedagogy (No longer available)
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one of
- MAQ-ECHX8260-Leading and Managing Early Childhood Settings
- MAQ-ECHX826-Leading and Managing Early Childhood Settings (No longer available)
Admission to MTeach (Birth to Five Years) - This unit is best completed towards the end of this course. NCCW (pre-2020 units) ECED822, ECEX822, ECED843, ECHX822
- Other requirements -
Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX822 Issues in Early Childhood Policy and Pedagogy
This subject explores current issues and debates affecting pedagogy, practice, politics and policy in early childhood education. Students will explore a range of responses to state, national and international influences on the provision of nurturant educational services in the early childhood years. We will consider diverse approaches to teaching practice as well as policy development in the delivery of various services used by young children and their families. This will include the investigation of approaches to reconceptualising early childhood pedagogy as well as the achievements of major government initiatives directed at early childhood education and care settings and the wellbeing of young children and their families.
- Assignment 1A, Reading Journal (20%)
- Assignment 1B, Reading Journal (20%)
- Assignment 2, Essay and/or Presentation (40%)
- Assignment 1C, Reading Journal (20%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.