Early Childhood Development Research and Practice
Extend your knowledge of child development. Consider the measurement of child development, quality in childcare, and evaluation of children's environments. Analyse research to develop your skills in using evidence-based approaches to teaching
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Jul 2021
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate critical, analytical and integrative thinking in applying developmental theory and research in early childhood
- Demonstrate a good understanding of child development theory to enable the critical assessment of children's learning environments
- Use sound analytical skills and evidence from child development research to address everyday problems concerned with children's early development
- Utilise child development knowledge in actively contributing to policy discussions concerning early childhood practice
- Communicate child development research effectively to other professionals and parents.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics in this unit will be provided in the study materials.
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
NCCW (pre-2020 units) ECED824, ECEX824, ECED605, ECHX824 Pre-requisite Admission to MTeach(0-5) and (ECHX602 or ECEX602 or ECHX6020)
- OtherDetails -
Access to a digital camera, or mobile phone or tablet with camera capability. Basic computer tools such as Microsoft Word and Powerpoint.
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This subject was previously known as ECHX824 Early Child Development Research and Practice.
This subject is designed to extend students' knowledge of child development with a particular emphasis on approaches to understanding and measuring child development, considerations for quality in childcare, and evaluation of children's environments. Recent research studies of child development, especially in relation to prior-to-school settings, will be used as a major resource for examining contemporary theory and research in child development. Students will analyse research to develop their skills in using evidence-based approaches in teaching, to inform policy, and evaluate programs within prior-to-school settings.
- Quiz (20%)
- Parent information sheet/infographic (30%)
- Essay (50%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.