Warning! This unit contains mature content and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Design and Statistics II
In this intermediate course, you’ll cover statistics used for experiments in psychological research. Discover the importance of interpretation and the power of sample size. Learn statistic methods including correlation, regression and more.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Subjects may require attendance
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 30,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
On successful completion of this subject, you will be able to:
- Develop and demonstrate an appreciation of the way statistical techniques are used to support theory in psychology
- Perform statistical analyses of experimental and non-experimental designs in psychology.
- Critically evaluate designs and analyses in experimental and non-experimental psychology
- 1. Introduction to Course Design, Design and Methods in Psychology, Revision of Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
- 2. Revision of Correlation, Simple Linear Regression, Multiple Regression
- 3. One-Way ANOVA, Contrast testing in One-Way ANOVA
- 4. Trend Analysis
- 5. Factorial ANOVA, Contrast testing in Factorial ANOVA
- 6. Non-parametric Tests, Power
You should not enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- MAQ-PSYX248-Design and Statistics II (No longer available)
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one of
- MAQ-PSYX1104-Introduction to Psychology I
- MAQ-PSYX104-Introduction to Psychology I (No longer available)
- MAQ-PSYX1105-Introduction to Psychology II
- MAQ-PSYX105-Introduction to Psychology II (No longer available)
Pre-requisite (PSYX104 and PSYX105) or (PSYC104 and PSYC105) or (PSYU1104 and PSYU1105) NCCW (pre-2020 units) PSYX248, PSY248 NCCW (2020 and onwards) PSYU Design and Statistics II
- Other requirements -
Students who have an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion under Macquarie University's Academic Progression Policy are not permitted to enrol in OUA units offered by Macquarie University. Students with an Academic Standing of Suspension or Exclusion who have enrolled in units through OUA will be withdrawn.
This is an intermediate statistics subject that covers both the design and statistical components of experiments common to psychological research. The importance of interpretation based on both the design and statistics components is emphasised, together with concepts of power and sample size requirements for efficient research. Statistical methods covered include: descriptive statistics; one-way and two-way analysis of variance; correlation; regression and non parametric equivalents of ANOVA. The subject includes instruction on the presentation of statistical results in report format. Practical classes are based on the use of the Stata statistical software.
- Mid-session exam (20%)
- Quantitatve analysis task (30%)
- Invigilated final examination (50%)
Current study term: 25 Jul 21 to 05 Nov 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.