Counselling Approaches and Principles
Your upfront cost: $0
18 weeks weeks
Subjects may require attendance
- 25 Jul 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
On successful completion you will be able to
- Describe and evaluate theories of counselling..
- Articulate methods of interviewing in counselling settings.
- Evaluate and apply basic interviewing skills to relevant contexts, including workplace settings..
- Show working knowledge around the principles of ethical and professional practice, including diversity considerations.
- Apply critical thinking and independent learning to solve problems related to counselling in the workplace.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:one of
- MAQ-PSYX1104-Introduction to Psychology I
- MAQ-PSYX1101-Introduction to Psychology I
- MAQ-PSYX1105-Introduction to Psychology II
- MAQ-PSYX1102-Introduction to Psychology II
Pre-requisite (PSYC104 or PSYU1104 or PSYX104 or PSYX1104 PSYU1101 or PSYX1101) or (PSYC105 or PSYU1105 or PSYX105 or PSYX1105 or PSYU1102 or PSYX1102) NCCW (pre-2020 units) PSYC201 NCCW (2020 and onwards) PSYU2201
No additional requirements
The aim of this unit is to provide an introduction to contemporary approaches to counselling, and to teach basic interviewing skills for use in the workplace. There will be a balanced focus on theory, research and practice throughout the unit. Theoretical frameworks used in counselling will be reviewed, followed by a step-by-step introduction to conducting a counselling interview. Role-plays, demonstrations and case examples will be used to teach basic therapeutic skills. The unit will also involve self-reflective exercises, and will have a focus on ethical and professional practice.
- Final examination (40%)
- Essay (30%)
- Viva and written reflection (30%)
Current study term: 24 Jul 22 to 06 Nov 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.