Undergraduate | MAQ-PSYX2201 | 2023
Counselling Approaches and Principles
- Study method
- 100% online
- Subject may require attendance
- Entry requirements
- Part of a degree
- 18 weeks
- 24 July 2023
About this subject
On successful completion you will be able to
- Describe and evaluate theories of counselling..
- Articulate methods of interviewing in counselling settings.
- Evaluate and apply basic interviewing skills to relevant contexts, including workplace settings..
- Show working knowledge around the principles of ethical and professional practice, including diversity considerations.
- Apply critical thinking and independent learning to solve problems related to counselling in the workplace.
- A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this subject will be provided in your study materials.
The aim of this unit is to provide an introduction to contemporary approaches to counselling, and to teach basic interviewing skills for use in the workplace. There will be a balanced focus on theory, research and practice throughout the unit. Theoretical frameworks used in counselling will be reviewed, followed by a step-by-step introduction to conducting a counselling interview. Role-plays, demonstrations and case examples will be used to teach basic therapeutic skills. The unit will also involve self-reflective exercises, and will have a focus on ethical and professional practice.
- Final examination (40%)
- mid ssession quiz (30%)
- Viva and written reflection (30%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
This research-intensive university in north-western Sydney offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. With over 44,000 current students, Macquarie has a strong reputation for welcoming international students and embracing flexible and convenient study options, including its partnership with Open Universities Australia.
Learn more about Macquarie.
Explore Macquarie courses.
- QS Ranking 2023:
- Times Higher Education Ranking 2023:
Part of a degree
To enrol in this subject you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- MAQ-PSY-DEG-2023 - Bachelor of Psychology
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
MAQ-PSYX1104 (Not currently available)
- MAQ-PSYX1101-Introduction to Psychology I
MAQ-PSYX1105 (Not currently available)
- MAQ-PSYX1102-Introduction to Psychology II
No additional requirements
This is in the range of 10 to 12 hours of study each week.
Equivalent full time study load (EFTSL) is one way to calculate your study load. One (1.0) EFTSL is equivalent to a full-time study load for one year.
Find out more information on Commonwealth Loans to understand what this means to your eligibility for financial support.
7 student respondents between: 01 Nov - 17 Nov 2022.
100%of students felt the study load was manageable
100%of students felt this subject helped them gain relevant skills
Once you’ve completed this subject it can be credited towards one of the following degrees