Advances in Nutritional Science and Nutrigenomics
Take a healthier approach to the study of nutritional science. Mark the role nutrients play in preventing diseases, aiding sports performance and extending people’s lifespans. Weigh up the social and cultural elements that affect how humans consume food.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 May 2019
- 25 Nov 2019
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Upon the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Demonstrate critical understanding of key concepts and potential applications in the field of nutrigenomics and personalised nutrition;
- Investigate contemporary and emerging topics in nutritional science, and critically reflect upon their role in health management;
- Evaluate and critique nutritional messages in various forms of media communication to identify communication bias and develop skills in objective health communications.
- Gut microbiome
- Dietary trends
- Nutrition in the Media
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Embedded Multimedia
- Study guide
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
Bachelor of Food and Nutrition students can undertake this subject if they have been enrolled in the prerequisite subject/s DTN201 and HEA201 and HBS202 in the previous study period. However, if the prerequisite subject/s is failed you will automatically be removed from this subject. Contact an Open Universities Australia student advisor for more information.
- OtherDetails -
This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia. La Trobe University students can undertake this subject as part of a cross institutional enrolment under certain circumstances, and must seek approval from the Bachelor of Food and Nutrition course coordinator for eligibility. Due to the nature of the subject content and online delivery, enrolments are generally not permitted past the published OUA enrolment date for the study period.
In this subject students will build on knowledge gained in first and second year nutrition subjects, it discusses advanced topics in nutritional sciences focusing on the most recent nutrition research and current topics in the media as well as emerging nutrition related issues. Includes nutrition's impact on health, chronic disease prevention and management.
- 1hr Mastery Quiz (25%)
- 30 min Mastery Quiz (15%)
- 5 min multimedia presentation (10%)
- Final Portfolio task (2000 words equivalent) (50%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.