Advances in Nutritional Science and Nutrigenomics
Take a healthier approach to the study of nutritional science. Mark the role nutrients play in preventing diseases, aiding sports performance and extending people’s lifespans. Weigh up the social and cultural elements that affect how humans consume food.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
- 01 Jun 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Upon the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Demonstrate critical understanding of key concepts and potential applications in the field of nutrigenomics and personalised nutrition;
- Investigate contemporary and emerging topics in nutritional science, and critically reflect upon their role in health management;
- Evaluate and critique nutritional messages in various forms of media communication to identify communication bias and develop skills in objective health communications.
- Gut microbiome
- Dietary trends
- Nutrition in the Media
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Embedded Multimedia
- Study guide
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
- LTU-HBS202-Advanced Systems Physiology A
- LTU-DTN201-Nutrition Fundamentals
- LTU-HEA201-Integrating Evidence into Practice
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- OtherDetails -
This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia. La Trobe University students can undertake this subject as part of a cross institutional enrolment under certain circumstances, and must seek approval from the Bachelor of Food and Nutrition course coordinator for eligibility. Due to the nature of the subject content and online delivery, enrolments are generally not permitted past the published OUA enrolment date for the study period.
In this subject students will build on knowledge gained in first and second year nutrition subjects, it discusses advanced topics in nutritional sciences focusing on the most recent nutrition research and current topics in the media as well as emerging nutrition related issues. Includes nutrition's impact on health, chronic disease prevention and management.
- 1hr Mastery Quiz (25%)
- 30 min Mastery Quiz (15%)
- 5 min multimedia presentation (10%)
- Final Portfolio task (2000 words equivalent) (50%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
Textbook information is pending.