Advanced Systems Physiology A
Your upfront cost: $0
- 01 Mar 2021
- 30 Aug 2021
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject, students will be able to:
- Predict how the nervous, muscle, endocrine and gastrointestinal systems of the human body function both during normal physiological conditions and under pathological stress ;
- Analyse and integrate experimentally-obtained physiological data with knowledge of basic physiological principles;
- Effectively and professionally communicate physiological principles, experimental observations and the conclusions drawn from them.
- Nervous system
- Skeletal muscle
- Smooth muscle
- Cardiac muscle
- Cardiovascular system
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
- OtherDetails - This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia, late enrolments are generally not permitted past the published close of application date for the study period. For students not enrolled in the prerequisite courses, you may be able to undertake these subjects with approval of your home course coordinator, please contact ASK La Trobe for assistance.
In this subject you gain knowledge in systems physiology, including the nervous system, muscle tissue, endocrinology and the gastrointestinal system. We will discuss how the nervous system controls body systems, focusing on the electrical transmission of information and how this is modulated. Our focus then shifts to muscle tissue and the mechanisms involved in skeletal muscle contraction, force generation and fatigue. You will gain a detailed understanding of the endocrine system and how it is responsible for controlling many of our bodies daily functions and metabolism. The semester concludes focusing on the gastrointestinal systems where you will gain an understanding of the mechanisms surrounding food digestion and nutrient absorption. Please note: this subject was previously known as Human Physiology Theory A.
- 2 x 500-word scientific communication assessments (30%)
- 2 x 800-word MCQ tests (40%)
- 10 x 150-word MCQ tests (30%)
Textbook information is pending.
Textbook information is pending.