Teaching Early Years Science & Technology (3-8)
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 Feb 2023
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 36,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Learn more about La Trobe.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
- Demonstrate effective knowledge and understanding of relevant science and technology curriculum requirements and appropriate teaching strategies in these teaching areas.
- Demonstrate effective knowledge and understanding of research which indicates that creative problem-solving and inquiry based are effective learning and teaching processes.
- Design and evaluate effective teaching and learning experiences and assessment tools the curriculum areas of science and technology in Kindergarten and the early primary school years, with appropriate reference to relevant state and national curriculum documents.
- • Nurturing curiosity and wonder: theoretical perspectives in early years scientific inquiry.
- • Developing effective teaching strategies to teach science, technology, and sustainability.
- • Facilitating scientific concepts for early childhood, Integrating technology and sustainability with children.
- • Concept development in science and technology.
Prerequisites: Students must be admitted in the following course: EBECEO.
No additional requirements
In this subject pre-service teachers examine how young children in Kindergarten and the early primary school years can develop their understandings and skills in science and technology. Pre-service teachers will learn to develop curriculum to facilitate problem-solving and inquiry learning as teaching methodologies using social constructivist theory. The content of this subject will be informed by the research and practice of the schools of Reggio Emilia, in conjunction with the requirements of the relevant state and national curriculum documents. Pre-service teachers will enhance their knowledge and understanding of relevant curriculum documents and core concepts in science and technology and they will develop their teaching strategies to ensure these can be introduced to children in meaningful and engaging ways. The Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework, the Early Years Learning Framework and the Victorian & Australian curriculum documents are included in this subject.
- Part A) Pedagogical Thinking diagnostic task (200 words). This assessment task will be undertaken within the first 2 weeks of the term. (10%)
- Inquiry Project (2000 words). (50%)
- Part B) Pedagogical Thinking (1800 words) (40%)
Current study term: 26 Feb 23 to 07 Apr 23
Textbook information is pending.