Undergraduate | LTU-MGT3LWM | 2024
Course information for 2024 intakeView information for 2023 course intake
About this subject
On successful completion you will be able to:
- Critically analyse key leadership theories and approaches, and explore their impact on organisational outcomes.
- Critically analyse the nature of leadership and apply key leadership skills for positive change in a diverse range of organisational contexts.
- Research and apply leadership concepts and theories, communicate findings in a clear and engaging manner and provide constructive feedback to others.
- What Does it Mean to Be a Leader?
- Traits and Behaviours
- Approaches to Leadership
- Leading With the Head and Heart
- Motivation and Empowerment
- Communication to Persuade and Influence
- Leading Teams
- Power and Influence
- Leading Change
- Shaping Culture and Values
Leaders have recently had their assumptions challenged about how organisations succeed. Additionally, leaders are struggling to make sense of the shifting environment and learning how to lead the people in their companies effectively and successfully in the midst of turmoil. In this subject, you will examine key leadership theories and the current trends in responsible leadership across a range of workplace contexts. You will apply these theories to critically address these issues that are directly relevant to the current turbulent environment. The subject requires a combination of working online, as well as attending highly interactive workshops, where you will have the opportunity to examine, discuss and solve real-world leadership problems.
- 2 x in-class tests. Individual tests equivalent to 600 words each. Total 1200 words (30%)
- Critical evaluation and reflection 1200 words (30%)
- The leadership Challenge Case study.1500 words Individual case study (40%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 38,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Learn more about La Trobe.
Explore La Trobe courses.
- QS Ranking 2024:
- Times Higher Education Ranking 2024:
Part of a degree
To enrol in this subject you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- LAT-BUS-DEG-2024 - Bachelor of Business
- LAT-ART-DEG-2024 - Bachelor of Arts
Prerequisites: Students must have completed 120 credit points.
Past La Trobe University students who have previously completed MGT3LWX (Leadership) are ineligible to enrol in this subject.
No additional requirements
This is in the range of 10 to 12 hours of study each week.
Equivalent full time study load (EFTSL) is one way to calculate your study load. One (1.0) EFTSL is equivalent to a full-time study load for one year.
Find out more information on Commonwealth Loans to understand what this means to your eligibility for financial support.
Once you’ve completed this subject it can be credited towards one of the following courses