Language, Literacies and Communication
Your upfront cost: $0
- 18 Sep 2023
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 38,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
Learn more about La Trobe.
Explore La Trobe courses.
QS Ranking 2023
Times Higher Education Ranking 2023
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
- Develop an applied understanding of children's language acquisition, communication and expression leading to the development of literacy.
- Investigate the backgrounds of children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds for the development of spoken English and written literacies.
- Plan, document and assess language and literacy promoting experiences based on children's interests.
- Employ teaching and appropriate scaffolding skills that assist the development of children's oral language, thinking and emergent literacy.
- • What are Literacies? Oral Language, Literacy practices, Four Resources Model, Using Multi Modal Texts
- • Literacy Rich Environments, Emergent reading and writing, Children’s Literature.
- • Story Telling & Critical Literacy
- • Supporting, Literacy and Communication
Prerequisites: Students must be admitted in the following course: EBECEO.
No additional requirements
Students will explore language and multiple literacies in Early Education; strategies for teaching and learning of reading, writing, speaking, listening and viewing in the early years and for supporting culturally and linguistically diverse families and ESL children; inclusive practices and diverse abilities in language and multi-literacies; documenting children's learning of language and investigating how children communicate their ideas.
- Part A: Literacy development diagnostics task (200 words) (10%). This assessment task will be undertaken within the first 2 weeks of the term. Part B: Literacy development (1800 words) (40%) (50%)
- Literacy Learning Centre (2,000 words) (50%)
For textbook details check your university's handbook, website or learning management system (LMS).