Advances in Nutritional Science and Nutrigenomics
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Nov 2021
The third university established in Victoria, La Trobe University has a diverse community of more than 33,000 students and staff. Its commitment to excellence in teaching and research prepares students to make a bold and positive impact in today's global community. La Trobe provides Open Universities Australia with its core tenets, entrepreneurship and sustainability.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
Upon the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- Demonstrate critical understanding of key concepts and potential applications in the field of nutrigenomics and personalised nutrition;
- Investigate contemporary and emerging topics in nutritional science, and critically reflect upon their role in health management;
- Evaluate and critique nutritional messages in various forms of media communication to identify communication bias and develop skills in objective health communications.
- Gut microbiome
- Dietary trends
- Nutrition in the Media
You must either have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject, or currently be enrolled in the following subject(s) in a prior study period; or enrol in the following subject(s) to study prior to this subject:
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation, should you not complete your prerequisite subject(s) successfully you should not continue with your enrolment in this subject. If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite subject(s) and believe you may not complete these all successfully, it is your responsibility to reschedule your study of this subject to give you time to re-attempt the prerequisite subject(s)
Please note that your enrolment in this subject is conditional on successful completion of these prerequisite subject(s). If you study the prerequisite subject(s) in the study period immediately prior to studying this subject, your result for the prerequisite subject(s) will not be finalised prior to the close of enrolment. In this situation you will be permitted to enrol in this subject, however you should withdraw your enrolment, or it will be withdrawn on your behalf, if you are unsuccessful in passing the prerequisite subject once results are released.
- Other requirements - This subject is offered via Open Universities Australia, late enrolments are generally not permitted past the published close of application date for the study period. For students not enrolled in the prerequisite courses, you may be able to undertake these subjects with approval of your home course coordinator, please contact ASK La Trobe for assistance.
In this subject students will build on knowledge gained in first and second year nutrition subjects, it discusses advanced topics in nutritional sciences focusing on the most recent nutrition research and current topics in the media as well as emerging nutrition related issues. Includes nutrition's impact on health, chronic disease prevention and management.
- 45-min Mastery Quiz (750 word equivalent) (20%)
- 30 min Mastery Quiz (500 words equivalent) (15%)
- 7-min multimedia presentation (750 words equivalent) (15%)
- Final Portfolio task (2000 words equivalent) (50%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Textbook information is pending.