Realising Sustainable Middle Years Reform
Identify a research topic to investigate from the areas of educational psychology, sociology of education and educational philosophy. Select a theoretical framework and research design to explore the topic and prepare a draft proposal.
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify an appropriate research question or topic within the middle years of schooling
- frame an appropriate research question or topic in order to investigate this area and/or issue
- explore the significance of the topic in terms of timeliness, theoretical and practical significance
- undertake an appropriate review of literature in the field in order to demonstrate an awareness of related research in the area
- identify an appropriate theoretical framework and research design to explore the topic
- write a literature review with a draft proposal that will form the basis for undertaking EDN704 Action Research in the Middle Years.
- Introduction to the unit, the middle years: what's all about?
- Challenges of and processes for middle years reform
- Identifying research issues/questions
- Linking research issues with appropriate middle years literature
- Linking research issues with appropriate research literature
- Student presentation on research issue/question
- Critical analysis (group discussion) of research issues/questions
- Ethical considerations
- Thinking about theories and paradigms and research design for action research projects
- Individual consultation on proposals
- Group discussion of issues arising from individual project proposals
- Looking towards implementation: when and how of implementation
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You are recommended to have completed the following subjects(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this subject:
- GRF-EDN702-Understand Middle Years Learners
- GRF-EDN701-Foundation Principles of Middle Schooling
- OtherDetails -
- Additional materials
This subject will assist students to identify a research topic based in the middle years of schooling and to develop a proposal based around that topic. In accomplishing this, an emphasis will be placed on educational research literature bases in a variety of discipline areas such as educational psychology, the sociology of education and educational philosophy. Topics chosen will relate to the underpinning principles of middle schooling including, but not limited to, middle years philosophy, middle years curriculum, middle years pedagogy, school reform and school culture.
- Literature Review and Research (60%)
- Annotated Research Proposal (40%)