Classic Australian Novels
Leaf through some of Australia's most celebrated novels.Read Patrick White's Voss and Joseph Furphy's Such is Life. Analyse them thematically and stylistically. Perform background research into Australian literature's approach to genre and biography.
There are no available classes. Find another subject.
- 25 Feb 2019
With a network of campuses across Brisbane and the Gold Coast, Griffith University is committed to progressive multidisciplinary teaching and research and a valuable online provider with Open Universities Australia. Already attracting students from more than 122 countries, Griffith's dedication to academic excellence is available across Australia through OUA.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- write clear and cogent literary criticism
- understand and think through complex ethical questions
- successfully undertake literary-historical research
- speak with some authority about the Australian literary tradition
- write and orally communicate effectively
- engage in intellectual reasoning at an improved level.
- Context, genre and biography
- Marcus Clarke, For the Term of His Natural Life
- Joseph Furphy, Such is Life
- Henry Handel Richardson, The Fortunes of Richard Mahony
- Patrick White, Voss
- The literary classic in Australia
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- OtherDetails -
- Additional materials
This subject introduces you to four classic Australian novels (one of them a trilogy), providing some thematic, formal and stylistic analysis, situating each novel in its historical context and reflecting on the history of their reception in Australia and elsewhere.
- Take Home Exam (40%)
- Essay (30%)
- Online Discussion (30%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: