Teaching Science in the Primary Years
Get ready to teach science in primary school. You’ll learn key approaches, tools and strategies. Focus on three strands of the Australian science curriculum: chemistry, physics and biology. Go over successful classroom management strategies.
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply discipline knowledge of the concepts, substance and structure of the content of the three strands of the science curriculum to plan inquiry-based teaching and learning experiences and assessments that will impact on student learning
- design science-based learning activities that support the ethical, safe and appropriate use of ICTs in teaching and learning
- integrate knowledge of the needs of students from diverse backgrounds and across the full range of abilities to develop differentiated teaching and learning experiences that support and challenge all students in primary science
- research sources in order to select appropriate resources to support science teaching and learning in primary schools.
- Science Literacy - Investigations and inquiry
- Science Literacy. Chemistry- Solids, liquids and gases
- Chemistry- Physical and chemical change
- Earth and space
- Teaching Strategies 5E Model: Earth and space science
- Lesson Planning, creating outcomes. Physics - electricity
- Assessment Forms & uses. Physics - heating, cooling and freezing
- Assessment applications. Physics - heating, cooling and freezing
- Programming and Planning Units. Biology - living and non-living
- Classroom Management and Safety. Biology - food webs and decomposing
- ICT STEM. Literacies of Science
- ICT STEM. Science as a Human Endeavour
- Review and Reflection
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
- Audio-Video streaming
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
This subject prepares pre-service teachers to teach science in primary schools by exploring the three strands of the science curriculum. It integrates appropriate ICT tools and strategies and inquiry-based learning approaches. It develops science knowledge as well as teaching and learning practices in science in primary school contexts.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercises (60%)
- Report (40%)