- 'Big ideas' of number. Early number experiences
- Place value and Base Ten number system
- Multiplicative Thinking
- Fractions > Decimals
- Fractions > Decimals > Percentage > Proportional reasoning - Linking `big ideas' of number
- Mental computation, understanding operations, and written computation
- Mental computation, understanding operations, and written computation. Making computational choices
- Algebraic thinking - pre-algebra and patterns. The 'big ideas' of algebra - Part A
- Algebraic thinking - pre-algebra and patterns. The 'big ideas' of algebra - Part B
- Experiential, experimental, and theoretical probability
- Experiential, experimental, and theoretical probability - teaching through an inquiry approach
- Reflection and review
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
No eligibility requirements
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, Access to video creation and editing software.
This subject considers the main content ideas and pedagogical approaches for effective teaching of number, algebra and probability to primary children. It uses a ‘big ideas’ approach combined with constructivist teaching through inquiry and problem solving.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Assignment 1 - Report (50%)
- Assignment 2 - Exercises (50%)