Teaching Language and Literature in the Primary Years
Explore ways to bring language and literature to life for primary school students. Enhance learning by understanding historical and current thinking about ways to teach, and get the skills to judge and measure student engagement and reception.
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- evaluate a range of language and literature theories and pedagogies and explain how they can be applied to different learning contexts
- justify the selection of language and literature pedagogies for a particular context
- apply discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to create, evaluate and refine teaching programs to enhance student learning in the Primary English curriculum
- generate assessment strategies to monitor, measure, provide feedback and make consistent and comparable judgements of student learning in Primary Language and Literature.
- Review and Introduction
- Explicit and didactic literacy pedagogy
- Authentic literacy pedagogy
- Functional literacy pedagogy
- Critical literacy pedagogy
- Designing Language Literature and Literacy learning for multiliteracies, multimodality and community context - Part A
- Designing Language Literature and Literacy learning for multiliteracies, multimodality and community context - Part B
- Learner diversity
- Assessment and Planning with Curriculum - Part A
- Assessment and Planning with Curriculum - Part B
- Short and long term planning - Using literature
- Presentation and justification of planning documents
- Review and Reflection
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Printable format materials
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
This subject will explore how to teach language, literature and literacy in the primary years. The subject will encompass historical and current ‘literacies’ pedagogies and examine how they inform the design of learning programs for children.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay (40%)
- Presentation (60%)