You are currently viewing the 2018 version of this course. Change to 2019
- The modern teaching landscape (political, cultural, social, historical)
- What does an effective teacher 'do'? - Overview
- What does an effective teacher 'do'? - Communication
- What does an effective teacher 'do'? - Planning
- What does an effective teacher 'do'? - Assessment
- What does an effective teacher 'do'? - Relationships, social-emotional expectations and developing resilience
- Understanding your responsibilities
- Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
- Equity and ethical issues in teaching
- Legal issues in teaching
- Teacher interview discussion
- Developing your personal and professional learning plan
- Reflection and review
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
Teaching in the Secondary School is an introductory subject that explores fundamental aspects of what it means to be an effective classroom teacher in secondary schools. It covers aspects of professional responsibilities of teachers in regards to communication, teacher identity, professional growth and understanding of current and diverse teaching contexts.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Investigation (60%)
- Presentation (40%)
Textbook information is pending.