Teaching Arts in the Primary Years
Learn how to design and teach arts activities that reflect arts learning principles. Examine the features of safe and ethical learning environments, create enquiry-based lessons and evaluate arts teaching and learning using an improvement framework.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- examine the features and implementation of safe and ethical learning environments in authentic arts education practices across the five arts subjects in The Arts Learning Area of the Australian Curriculum
- demonstrate a competent standard of arts literacy in the making and responding strands of the arts curriculum
- design and teach arts activities that reflect authentic arts learning principles
- evaluate arts teaching and learning using an improvement cycle framework
- create an inquiry-based sequence of lessons for an age group in accordance with the principles and content in the Australian Curriculum: The Arts.
- What are the features of authentic arts education practices and how are they reflected in The Arts Learning Area in the Australian Curriculum?
- A visual arts context for designing inquiry-based arts learning (making) experiences to stimulate creative thinking, imagination and self-expression
- A media arts context for designing arts responding experiences. (Dialogues for learning; cross-curriculum priorities and the arts in culture)
- Creating a safe and ethical learning environment and implementing effective teaching practice in the arts
- Inclusive education in a performing arts context (dance, drama, music)
- Addressing curriculum achievement standards: assessment of arts learning
- Addressing curriculum achievement standards: reflection, review and evaluation of arts teaching (Improvement cycle framework)
- The arts as experiential learning and ways of knowing
- Diverse learning experiences across the arts curriculum
- Planning an inquiry-based arts learning program
- Partnerships strategies for effective educators
- Life-long learning strategies for effective educators
- Review and Reflection
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
This subject prepares pre-service teachers to teach the Arts in Primary schools through the five Arts curriculum areas. It explores authentic Arts education practices and inquiry-based learning approaches. It develops Arts literacy competence in pre-service teachers and considers safe and ethical teaching and learning environments.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Report (50%)
- Presentation (50%)