Investigate the influences of emerging concepts on the future of education. Examine the impact of globalisation on education systems, educators, leaders and learners. Develop a futures focused model of education for local leadership contexts.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 27 May 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- examine the purposes and intent of futures focussed theories in relation to education
- analyse and critique the impact of futures focussed influences on education in international and national contexts within a neoliberal framework
- evaluate and critique educational models based on futures focussed ideas and concepts
- develop a practical response to incorporate futures focussed models of education into local leadership contexts.
- Introduction to Futures Thinking (Inayatullah) Future focused models of education
- Drivers of futures thinking in education - international and national contexts
- Education leadership in a Neoliberal landscape (Eriksen)
- Sustainable models of educational leadership (Hargreaves, Fullan)
- Sustainability - the four pillars - political; sociocultural; environmental and economic
- Education for sustainability (ARIES; Tilbury; Sterling)
- Education as sustainability (ARIES; Tilbury; Sterling)
- Integral models of thinking for sustainability (Wilbur)
- The contribution of education to sustainable global development
- Globalisation: Key Concepts (Ball; Lingard; Marginson; Friedman; Polanyi) Internationalising the curriculum, natural, economic and sociocultural
- Education and the creation of living capital and anthro-capital
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
- Audio-Video streaming
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
- OtherDetails -
- Additional materials
This subject explores the influences on education of emerging concepts concerning the future of education. This includes education (of, for and as) sustainability, globalisation and notions of sustainable education. It also examines the impact of these on education systems, educators, leaders and learners within the context of a globalised landscape. This subject provides educators with theoretical and conceptual frameworks to understand these influences and the practical tools to respond to such change.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Case Study (60%)
- Report (40%)
Textbooks are not required.