Special Topics in Applied Linguistics
Your upfront cost: $0
- 31 Aug 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- assess the value of theories and/or pedagogies to particular cohorts and contexts
- evaluate empirical research studies to ascertain their contribution to knowledge and/or practices
- incorporate existing knowledge in creative ways to a chosen context.
- Introduction to the unit and the notion of Global Englishes
- Sociolinguistic concept
- Linguistic concept
- Models of World Englishes
- British Englishes
- American English
- Australian Englishes
- South African and Nigerian Englishes
- Indian Englishes
- Englishes in Singapore and Malaysia
- Englishes in China
- The future of Global Englishes & implications for language teaching and beyond
- Web links
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Online assignment submission
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
This Special Topics subject is designed to address contemporary issues in the fields of Applied Linguistics, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) and Second Language Acquisition (SLA). Each chosen specialisation will provide an in-depth examination of a cutting-edge area of learning theory, research methodology or pedagogical innovation.This Special Topics subject is designed to address contemporary issues in the fields of Applied Linguistics, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) and Second Language Acquisition (SLA). Each chosen specialisation will provide an in-depth examination of a cutting-edge area of learning theory, research methodology or pedagogical innovation.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay (50%)
- Project (50%)
Textbook information is pending.