Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics Instructional Design and Evaluation
Study different instructional design models and evaluation principles. Apply your understanding of these to develop and analyse learning programs in STEM. Design an assessment task to evaluate the effectiveness of the instructional program
Your upfront cost: $0
- 25 Nov 2019
- 01 Jun 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- identify different instructional design models in STEM subjects and critically evaluate them
- develop an instructional program for the subject of choice in STEM
- examine principles of assessment/evaluation and discuss implications for teachers of STEM
- design an evaluation/assessment task to evaluate the effectiveness of the instructional program of STEM
- appraise the designed instruction/assessment program in relation to instructional design models and evaluation principles.
- The Relationship between Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- International Comparison and Trends in STEM
- Curriculum and Standards for Mathematics Teaching
- Curriculum and Standards for Science Teaching
- 5E Inquiry Model
- Explicit Instruction
- Project-Based Learning
- Concept Mapping
- Cognitive Outcomes and Assessment
- Affective Outcomes and Assessment
- Practical Activities and Assessment
- Holistic Assessment
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Embedded Multimedia
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Online assignment submission
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Audio-Video streaming
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
In this subject, students examine different instructional design models and evaluation principles, and apply their understanding of these to develop and analyse instructional programs in Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay (40%)
- Report (60%)
Textbooks are not required.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.