Schooling and Australian Society
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Nov 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- interpret and critically analyse current cultural and social patterns in Australia and relevant to schooling in Australia
- engage with education stakeholders, professional organizations and communities to formulate informed perspectives on current educational issues and to develop a critical perspective of difference and diversity and their significance to education
- evaluate strategies that foster respect and support inclusive student participation and learning for children from diverse social, cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- examine and critically engage with current international and national education policy trends
- Curriculum and the contexts of schooling
- Critical pedagogies
- Childhood Socioeconomic factors
- Gender and sexuality
- Cultural diversity
- Education policy
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No additional requirements
This subject examines the social, political, cultural, linguistic and economic shape of Australian society and the impact of these forces on education policy, educator practices and student learning. Students examine the characteristics of education systems and learning settings that promote inclusivity, celebrate diversity and reduce the effects of disadvantage and inequality. The subject emphasises the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers associated with student diversity, including consideration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and their learning environments.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Report and Reflection on Social Justice Issues in Australian Schooling (50%)
- Investigation of current education policy in Australia (50%)
Current study term: 27 Nov 22 to 26 Feb 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.