Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
Your upfront cost: $0
- 02 Mar 2020
- 31 Aug 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- explain the various research methods in quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods designs
- examine studies using various research methods to critically evaluate the research quality
- assess the data collection and analysis techniques in relation to each research method
- incorporate appropriate methods and techniques into a research area of interest
- demonstrate an understanding of plagiarism, paraphrasing and the principles of Academic Integrity.
- Introduction to Research and Ethical Considerations
- Research Methods: Quantitative, Qualitative, Mixed Methods
- Quality Criteria: Validity, Reliability and Trustworthiness
- Reporting on Research
- Quantitative Research Designs: Sampling, Correlational, Experimental, Quasi-experimental
- Quantitative Data Collection: Interaction-based, Cognitive Processing and Survey Research
- Quantitative Data Analysis: Descriptive and Inferential Statistics via SPSS
- Qualitative Research Designs: Ethnography, Case Study, Narrative Research
- Qualitative Data Collection: Purposeful Sampling, Interview and Observation
- Qualitative Data Analysis: Coding, Grounded Theory, Discourse Analysis
- Classroom-based Research: Action Research and Class Observation
- Mixed Methods Research
- Web links
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Online assignment submission
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Resources and Links
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- EquipmentDetails - Audio/Visual equipment
This subject explores the various research methods used within the field of Applied Linguistics. It examines quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods approaches and discusses the application of data collection and analysis techniques for conducting a research study.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Analysis Exercise (40%)
- Report (60%)
(2015). Research methods in applied linguistics: A practical resource (2nd ed.). London: Bloomsbury Academic.
Paltridge, B., and Phakiti, A.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.