Research-Based Inquiry to Enhance Practice
Articulate how education professionals use research findings to drive improvements in the curriculum and the classroom. Design a small-scale research investigation. Track the data research process, from collection to analysis to interpretation.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- appraise educational research processes as a means of enhancing and leading practice
- identify and scrutinise relevant literature on an area of educational practice selected for personal professional learning
- design a small-scale research-based inquiry based on the identified focus for professional learning.
- Developing Professional Learning Environments/Teacher Professional Development
- Introduction to Action Research
- Writing the literature Review: Accessing the Appropriate Data-Bases
- Action Research Methods: Overview
- Action Research Methods: Data Collection
- Ethics in Education
- Action Research Methods: Data Analysis
- Action Research Methods: Interpreting results, making teaching and research decisions
- Professionalism in Teaching: Global Trends
- Australian Professional Standards for Teaching
- Taking Action
- Taking Action: Challenges for Teaching Professionals
- Review and Reflection
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software
This subject introduces fundamental concepts in educational research, and explores how research can guide improvement of teaching and curriculum. Approaches to data collection, analysis, interpretation and communication are examined, and processes for ensuring research is valid, reliable, and ethical are reviewed. The subject explores strategies for incorporating research processes into plans for the enhancement of teaching practice and educational leadership. Pre-service teachers will source and review relevant literature and design a small-scale research-based inquiry that investigates an area of educational knowledge or practice of particular interest, drawn from the Australian Professional Standards for Graduate Teachers.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercise (50%)
- Essay (50%)
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.