Quantitative Mathematics for Science Inquiry
Explore the occasions where quantitative mathematics are employed to aid scientific inquiries. Discuss how statistics, data collection, measurement and geometry can be used or misused in this context. Give and receive feedback to and from your peers.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 Aug 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge of quantitative mathematics (scientific numeracy) to critically evaluate how quantitative mathematics can be used and misused to support claims
- create a challenging, engaging, and differentiated learning program based upon the science inquiry approach and incorporating appropriate quantitative mathematics
- select a range of resources, including technologies, appropriate to the Inquiry purpose and design.
- Scientific inquiry model
- Examine and critique a sample science inquiry
- Explore the `Big Ideas' of statistics and data collection
- Explore the `Big Ideas' of measurement .
- Explore the `Big Ideas' of data gathering
- Explore representations of data
- Explore scale and the links to fraction/proportion. Inquiry - Elaborate - Part A
- Explore length, area and volume. Inquiry - Elaborate - Part B.
- Explore geometry. Inquiry - Evaluate - Part A
- Explore geometry. Inquiry - Evaluate - Part B
- Peer review and feedback
- Digital technologies - evaluative report on the inquiry
- Review and Reflection
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
This subject will enable students to acquire, refine, and use quantitative mathematics knowledge and procedures (primarily in measurement and statistics) whilst planning scaffolded, online science inquiries, thereby integrating mathematics and science in context. The use and misuse of quantitative mathematics in scientific endeavours will be critically examined.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Exercise (60%)
- Report (40%)
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more: