Warning! This subject requires you to do a practical placement, please see Special Requirements for more information.
Professional Studies and Evaluating Learning
Learn how to assess and report on student learning. Design, implement and modify teaching programs that cater for student diversity. A 4-week professional school placement allows you to practise your skills and strategies.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- communicate a philosophy of teaching that articulates the pre-service teacher education student’s personal professional identity and capacity for professional resilience
- use a range of teaching, learning, assessment and management strategies with individuals and groups and reflect on their effectiveness
- design, implement and modify appropriate teaching and learning programs that indicate a developing understanding of how to cater for student diversity
- assess, evaluate and report on students’ learning and maintain purposeful records of student progress
- apply constructive feedback from supervisors and mentor teachers to improve teaching practices.
- My professional 'assessment identity'
- Key concepts of assessment and planning
- Planning for assessment
- Meeting diverse student needs - assessment types
- Creating feedback cycles for student achievement
- Evaluation and record keeping
- Making comparable judgements and reporting
- Planning from assessment
- Preparation for Practicum
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat Rooms
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Printable format materials
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
- OtherDetails -
Microphone and video camera for Collaborate sessions
This subject will focus on assessing, providing feedback and reporting on student learning. The subject includes online study modules and culminates in a four week professional school placement. Passing this subject is contingent on successful completion of the professional practice component of the subject.
To view the Practicum Calendar, please see below:
EDP323 Practicum Calendar 2018 (PDF, 25KB)
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Report or Case Study (40%)
- ePortfolio (60%)
- Prof Placement (Pass/Fail%)
Bachelor of Education Primary Education
- Open Subjects - Level 1
- Restricted Subjects - Level 2
- Restricted Subjects - Level 3
- Restricted Subjects - Level 4
- Restricted Subjects - Level 4 Internship