Extending English in the Primary Years
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Aug 2023
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, their online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Learn more about Curtin.
QS Ranking 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
Our student advisors are here to guide you with:
- Enrolling and eligibility
- Fee and loan information
- Credit and recognition for prior learning
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- critique paradigms and pedagogies of English as a learning area
- analyse and critique paradigms and pedagogies of the English learning are as they apply to teaching contexts
- demonstrate an understanding of higher order, critical and creative thinking for teaching English to extend learners in the upper primary years
- design and justify a cross-curricular plan using discipline knowledge, principles and concepts in primary English for a diversity of learners
- Overview of paradigms and pedagogies of English as a learning area
- Knowledge to extend learners
- Models of planning
You must have successfully completed the following subject(s) before starting this subject:
No additional requirements
This is the third in the suite of three English subjects in the Master of Teaching (Primary Education). The focus of this unit is to critique and analyse the key paradigms and pedagogies of the English learning area as they apply to different teaching contexts. Students will design and justify a cross-curricular plan using discipline knowledge, principles and concepts in primary English which will extend and challenge a diversity of learners.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Critical analysis of English as a learning area and application across the curriculum (50%)
- Integrated cross-curricular plan for teaching English (50%)
Current study term: 27 Aug 23 to 26 Nov 23
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.