- Introduction to diverse abilities and differentiated curriculum
- Physical impairments
- Intellectual disability
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Challenging behaviours
- Understanding behavioural disorders and related behavioural challenges
- Differentiating the curriculum and adapting instruction
- Learning environments that support differentiated instruction
- Classroom climate
- Good curriculum as a basis of differentiation
- Principles and instructional strategies that support differentiation
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Standard Media
- Web links
- Online Assessment
- Resources and Links
No eligibility requirements
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative; Access to video creation and editing software
This subject provides an in-depth examination of the learning characteristics and curriculum differentiation for children with diverse abilities including learning disabilities, emotional and behaviour disorders, intellectual disabilities, attention disorders, sensory impairments, chronic health concerns, speech and language disorders and high ability. Skill is developed in individualizing, modifying and adapting the curriculum according to the different ability levels of children.
Differentiating the curriculum occurs by changing:
- the content of learning,
- the processes of teaching and learning and
- the methods of assessing the products of learning.
With respect to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, this subject focuses most specifically on Standard 1 (know your students and how they learn) and Standard 3 (Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning).
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Assignment 1 - Case Study (50%)
- Assignment 2 - Report (50%)