Discerning Marketing Management
Take your first step into marketing from another discipline. Cover the basics of how consumers and businesses make decisions. Gain skills to analyse and create strategies. Finish up with skills in problem-solving to apply to your area of expertise.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 01 Jun 2020
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2020
Times Higher Education Ranking 2020
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply key marketing theory to the diverse perspectives of local and global consumers and businesses in the marketplace
- analyse current issues in marketing environments for their impacts on consumer and business buying behaviour, both locally and globally
- evaluate marketing frameworks for their applicability to consumer and business buying behaviour across various marketplace scenarios
- create and develop a professional artefact which synthesises the science and art of marketing strategies that influence consumer and business buying behaviour
- demonstrate academic and professional integrity principles and apply writing, referencing and acknowledgement conventions required for the marketing discipline.
- Creating and capturing customer value
- Partnering to build customer relationships. Analysing the marketing environment
- Understanding consumer and business buyer behaviour
- Creating value for target customers. Summary presentation and marketing plan
- Products, services and brands. Developing new products and managing innovation
- Summary presentation
- Pricing to capture customer value
- Advertising and public relations. Personal selling and sales promotions
- Summary presentation
- Direct and digital marketing: Building one-to-one customer relationships. Poster details
- Sustainable marketing. Critical comments - marketing plan
You cannot enrol in this subject if you have successfully completed any of the following subject(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
Students who have successfully completed MBA600 Marketing for Managers as part of Curtin's Master of Business Administration (MBA) should not enrol into MMK500 Discerning Marketing Management.
No special requirements
This subject introduces marketing to postgraduate students from other discipline areas. It initiates students into the marketing discipline by highlighting the principles fundamental to both consumer and business decision-making.
Students will acquire knowledge of marketing theories, frameworks and strategies which will equip them to analyse, evaluate and create strategic initiatives in the marketplace. Students will further develop professional skills in leadership,
collaboration and problem-solving in communications with their peers and industry clients.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Market Analysis (15%)
- Market Solutions (45%)
- Market Innovate (40%)
Principles of Marketing, 7th ed.
Armstrong, G., et al.
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.