Curriculum and Instruction Upper Secondary: English
Evaluate and refine your teaching practise to enhance student learning. Immerse yourself in the study of assessment design and reporting to be able to teach novel studies, expository texts, drama, poetry, and creative writing.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 26 May 2019
- 24 Nov 2019
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply high-level discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to evaluate and refine teaching programs to enhance student learning in Upper Secondary English
- interpret assessment data to provide feedback and inform teaching and learning in Upper Secondary English
- establish robust practices for the recording and reporting of student achievement in Upper Secondary English to educational stakeholders
- use contemporary research-based knowledge and understanding of Upper Secondary English curriculum to create learning plans to meet diverse needs of students
- generate assessment strategies to monitor, measure and make consistent and comparable judgements of student learning in Upper Secondary English.
- Whole upper secondary English course overview - Exploring all Upper School English Courses
- Exploring all Upper School Literature Courses
- Assessment: types, design and feedback
- Assessment: moderation, reporting and exams
- Novel study - Point of view
- Expository texts - Workplace texts
- Viewing in the English Course - Stills, Feature Film and Documentary, Catering for Diverse learners in Yr 11 & 12
- Drama in the English course - Catering for Diverse learners in Yr 11 & 12
- Poetry in the English course - Catering for Diverse learners in Yr 11 & 12
- Writing in the English course - Catering for Diverse learners in Yr 11 & 12
- Creative writing in the English course - Everyday texts; Multimodal, digital/online and hybrid texts, Context, audience and purpose.
- National and Local Curriculum Upper Secondary English exams and revision techniques
- Review and Reflection
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service teachers to teach the Upper Secondary English curriculum. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, assessment, reporting, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Upper Secondary English. The subject examines moderation, the provision of feedback and responding to individual student needs.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Upper School Course Presentation (50%)
- Assessment Portfolio (50%)
Textbooks are not required.
Textbook information is pending.