Curriculum and Instruction Senior Secondary: Science
Get prepared to teach upper secondary science. Learn to plan curriculums, assess and develop teaching strategies. Develop strong instructive skills reporting to educational stakeholders. Create individual learning plans to meet diverse student needs.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 31 May 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply high-level discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to evaluate and refine teaching programs to enhance student learning in Senior Secondary Science
- interpret assessment data to provide feedback and inform teaching and learning in Senior Secondary Science
- establish robust practices for the recording and reporting of student achievement in Senior Secondary Science to educational stakeholders
- use contemporary research-based knowledge and understanding of Senior Secondary Science curriculum to create learning plans to meet diverse needs of students
- generate assessment strategies to monitor, measure and make consistent and comparable judgements of student learning in Senior Secondary Science.
- Developing teacher identity
- The nature and importance of Science: Science as Inquiry
- Unpacking the Senior School Science curriculum and SCSA
- Planning individual lessons
- Planning a short sequence of lessons
- Planning and conducting practical lessons
- Assessments in Senior Secondary Science
- Designing assessment items in Senior Secondary Science
- Marking, mapping and moderating assessment and reporting student achievement
- Creating a positive learning environment
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject was previously known as Curriculum and Instruction Upper Secondary: Science
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service teachers to teach the Senior Secondary Science curriculum. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, assessment, reporting, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Senior Secondary Science. The subject examines moderation, the provision of feedback and responding to individual student needs.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Report (50%)
- Portfolio (50%)
Current study term: 30 May 21 to 29 Aug 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.