Curriculum and Instruction Senior Secondary: Mathematics
Focus on mathematics curriculum planning, teaching strategies and enhancing student learning. Create learning plans to meet the diverse needs of students and establish robust practices for the recording and reporting of student achievement.
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Nov 2021
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- apply high-level discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to evaluate and refine teaching programs to enhance student learning in Senior Secondary Mathematics
- interpret assessment data to provide feedback and inform teaching and learning in Senior Secondary Mathematics
- establish robust practices for the recording and reporting of student achievement in Senior Secondary Mathematics to educational stakeholders
- use contemporary research-based knowledge and understanding of the Senior Secondary Mathematics curriculum to create learning plans to meet the diverse needs of students
- generate assessment strategies to monitor, measure and make consistent and comparable judgements of student learning in Senior Secondary Mathematics.
- Feedback masterclass and introduction to the curriculum
- Calculators; Introduction to lesson planning
- Online and other resources for teachers of mathematics
- Assessment, including diagnostic testing, non-test assessment, computer-based and adaptive assessment
- Problem-solving and lesson planning
- Formative assessment, feedback, recording.
- Summative assessment, marking and reporting.
- Consistent and comparable judgements.
- Difference in readiness
- Lesson study
- Explanation skills and proof
- Teacher professional activities
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No additional requirements
This subject was previously known as Curriculum and Instruction Upper Secondary: Mathematics
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service teachers to teach the Senior Secondary Mathematics curriculum. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, assessment, reporting, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Senior Secondary Mathematics. The subject examines moderation, the provision of feedback and responding to individual student needs.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Case Study (50%)
- Portfolio (50%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.