Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: Science
Get prepared to teach lower secondary science. Create positive student interactions and encourage learning. Study teaching and reporting strategies and stakeholder engagement. Learn to moderate, give feedback and respond to student’s individual needs.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
- 31 May 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- establish critical and reflective practice in Lower Secondary Science based on local, national and international research
- evaluate teaching strategies that support and enhance students’ literacy and numeracy development
- appraise a range of resources, including technologies, and make appropriate selections to inform Lower Secondary Science teaching programs
- integrate knowledge of the needs of students from diverse backgrounds and across the full range of abilities to develop differentiated teaching and learning experiences that support and challenge all students in Lower Secondary Science
- apply high-level discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to plan, deliver and evaluate teaching and learning experiences with demonstrated impact in Lower Secondary Science.
- Science Literacy - Investigations and inquiry
- Observation in inquiry - Chemistry (solids, liquids and gases)
- Questioning - Physical and chemical changes in Chemistry
- Science Focus - Earth and space science
- Teaching Strategies 5E Model
- Lesson Planning & creating outcomes - Physics (electricity)
- Focus on Assessment - Physics
- Assessment applications - Physics (heating, cooling and freezing)
- Programming and Planning Units - Biology
- Classroom Management & Safety - Biology (food webs and decomposing)
- ICT STEM - Literacies of Science
- ICT STEM - Science as a Human Endeavour
- Reflection and Review
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service Lower Secondary Science teachers. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Lower Secondary Science. Teaching and learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort are explored.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Report (50%)
- Essay (50%)
Current study term: 30 May 21 to 29 Aug 21
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.