- What is mathematics? This question is explored through mathematical activities and research within the curriculum.
- Features of effective mathematics lessons as revealed by education research
- Exploration of the resources available for learners of mathematics, including computer use and ICT
- By focusing on the topic of Statistics, the social and ethical implications of mathematics learning are considered
- Lesson planning: differentiation to cater for diverse learners
- Lesson planning: engagement and motivation
- International, national and school assessment and reporting, including non-routine systems
- Teaching strategies
- Challenging learning goals
- Mathematical proficiency
- Resources available to teachers, including professional conferencing, competitions and community engagement
- Practical mathematics, including constructions, and the links between mathematics and employment
- Review and Reflection
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Disscusion forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Leacture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
- Resources and Links
- Online Assessment
- Audio-Video streaming
No eligibility requirements
- OtherDetails -
Access to Microsoft Office or a unit approved alternative, access to video creation and editing software.
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service Lower Secondary Mathematics. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Lower Secondary Mathematics. Teaching and learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort are explored.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Assignment 1 - Essay (50%)
- Assignment 2 - Report (50%)