Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: Health and Physical Education
Your upfront cost: $0
- 29 Nov 2021
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- establish critical and reflective practice in Lower Secondary Health and Physical Education based on local, national and international research
- evaluate teaching strategies that support and enhance students’ literacy and numeracy development
- appraise a range of resources, including technologies, and make appropriate selections to inform Lower Secondary Health and Physical Education teaching programs
- integrate knowledge of the needs of students from diverse backgrounds and across the full range of abilities to develop differentiated teaching and learning experiences that support and challenge all students in Lower Secondary Health and Physical Education
- apply high-level discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to plan, deliver and evaluate teaching and learning experiences with demonstrated impact in Lower Secondary Health and Physical Education.
- The Health and Physical Education (HPE) Curriculum in lower secondary schools and the current state of HPE in WA and Australia
- Pedagogical practices and strategies to support inclusive and positive environments in lower secondary HPE for all learners
- Roles of HPE teachers in planning and delivering the HPE curriculum using a wide range of pedagogical practices
- The Reflective Practitioner: Applying assessment, reporting and lesson design for lower secondary HPE students
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service teachers to teach the Lower Secondary Health and Physical Education curriculum. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Health and Physical Education in Lower Secondary Teaching. The subject will explore learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Analytical essay based on a unit topic (25%)
- Lesson planning and assessment design (25%)
- Curriculum design and planning matrix (30%)
Current study term: 28 Nov 21 to 27 Feb 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.