Curriculum and Instruction Lower Secondary: Health and Physical Education
Your upfront cost: $0
- 30 Nov 2020
Start your career with Curtin’s globally recognised courses and extensive industry connections. Through OUA, our online courses offer an interactive and collaborative learning experience that gets you the same degree as if you studied on campus. Curtin is a global university with a vibrant culture of innovation and collaboration and is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- establish critical and reflective practice in Lower Secondary Health and Physical Education based on local, national and international research
- evaluate teaching strategies that support and enhance students’ literacy and numeracy development
- appraise a range of resources, including technologies, and make appropriate selections to inform Lower Secondary Health and Physical Education teaching programs
- integrate knowledge of the needs of students from diverse backgrounds and across the full range of abilities to develop differentiated teaching and learning experiences that support and challenge all students in Lower Secondary Health and Physical Education
- apply high-level discipline knowledge, principles and concepts to plan, deliver and evaluate teaching and learning experiences with demonstrated impact in Lower Secondary Health and Physical Education.
- Introduction to the curriculum area of Health and Physical Education (HPE)
- Exploration of theories, practices and resources
- The programs and pedagogy of HPE in schools
- Game Sense Approach to Physical Education
- Strength based approach to Health Education
- Unit design and lesson planning for HPE
- Ways of assessing
- Differentiation and accommodation
- Roles of HPE teachers
- The Reflective Practitioner
- Web links
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Online assignment submission
- Discussion forum/Discussion Board
- Audio-Video streaming
- Resources and Links
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No special requirements
This subject is designed to prepare pre-service teachers to teach the Lower Secondary Health and Physical Education curriculum. The focus of the subject is on curriculum planning, teaching strategies, evaluation, resources, the demonstration of positive impact on student learning and research relating to Health and Physical Education in Lower Secondary Teaching. The subject will explore learning practices to support and challenge a diverse student cohort.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Essay (30%)
- Tables and planning templates (40%)
- Reflective response (30%)
Textbook information is pending.