Business Research Methods
Discover the crossroads of business and research. Learn from philosophies that will build your skills in quantitative and qualitative methods. Finish with the ability to think critically and make informed decisions.
Enrolments for this year have closed. Keep exploring subjects.
QS RANKING 2021
Times Higher Education Ranking 2021
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- critically evaluate academic literature and practitioner papers
- verbally justify responses to research problems
- compare and contrast alternative research paradigms and methods
- develop research questions and hypotheses for business problems
- conduct research to source solutions for business related problems.
- Introduction to business research methods
- Research philosophies, approaches, and defining your problem
- Critical literature review and using secondary data
- Formulating research design and hypotheses development
- Sampling issues
- Qualitative research: Participation observation
- Qualitative research: Interview methods
- Qualitative research: Analysing qualitative data
- Quantitative research: Designing questionnaires
- Quantitative research: Analysing quantitative data
- Alternative research methods
- Business research methods: Closing perspectives
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No additional requirements
This subject provides an introduction to research. It explores alternative research paradigms and philosophies. It develops skills in quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods research for business problems. The subject will assist the
student to develop their critical thinking, decision making capabilities and skills in communicating solutions to business problems.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Critical literature review (30%)
- Research proposal (40%)
- Collaborative group presentation (30%)
Current study term: 29 Aug 21 to 28 Nov 21
Doing Research in Business and Management, 2nd ed.
Mark Saunders, Philip Lewis