Becoming a Leader of STEM Education
Your upfront cost: $0
- 28 Feb 2022
QS RANKING 2022
Times Higher Education Ranking 2022
At the completion of this subject students will be able to:
- critically analyse the national STEM education agenda to identify the leadership demands and strategies required for reform and transformation
- identify and evaluate the philosophies, values and learning theories underpinning STEM education innovations
- create a STEM education reform agenda and impact evaluation plan.
- Leadership and the national STEM Education agenda
- Expanding participation
- Values-based leadership and transforming STEM Education
- Designing and leading STEM Innovation
In order to enrol in this subject, you must be accepted into one of the following degrees:
No additional requirements
This subject provides a lens for examining the social, cultural and political contexts that drive the Australian STEM education agenda and associated leadership practices for creating impact, and curriculum transformation. Students will critically explore the impact of STEM identity on career choices and how this is associated with the low representation of women, Indigenous people and others from a diversity of backgrounds. Students will explore the leadership challenges of reversing these participation trends and consider the philosophical debates about the nature of STEM and how this shapes practices in schools and across a range of invested community contexts. An interrogation of integrated learning programs will lead to identifying and developing strategies for a wider impact evaluation of STEM education initiatives.
Please Note: If it’s your first time studying a Curtin University subject you’ll need to complete their compulsory ‘Academic Integrity Program’. It only takes two hours to complete online, and provides you with vital information about studying with Curtin University. The Academic Integrity Program is compulsory, so if it’s not completed your subject grades will be withheld.
Find out more about the Academic Integrity module.
- Critical analysis of STEM Education (50%)
- STEM reform report and evaluation plan (50%)
Current study term: 27 Feb 22 to 29 May 22
Check the learning management system (LMS) of your university for textbook details.