While her friends are only beginning uni, 18-year-old Josephine (Jo) is soon to reach graduation.
Josephine (Jo) kick-started her higher education at 16, confident that she could not only manage outside of the classroom, but thrive without the distractions. “I always said that I’d go to university, but I never said I’d finish high school” Jo smiles.
Growing up in a big family as one of eleven children, Jo is the first in her family to study at uni. She got started through OUA with a single unit in Librarianship, just to test the waters. She loved it and continued on. After completing 4 units, she was called by an OUA student advisor and offered a Commonwealth-Supported Place, in which she could study a full degree, despite never reaching Year 12. She chose Curtin University’s Bachelor of Arts (Professional Writing and Publishing), and 2 years later, she’s almost reached the finish line.
Jo dreams of a career in writing and publishing, and studying her degree has set her well on her way. “They’ve taught me how to research, and how to back up my opinion”. She can rely on a call from OUA’s student advisors after every semester to make sure she’s coping, or could benefit from any changes to her study path. She’s even planning on travelling to Perth to see her university in person when she’s done, to say her final goodbyes.
Jo is a confident young woman, who proves that you can do whatever you put your mind to. “It doesn’t matter what age you are, I say just go for it”.
It’s never too early (or too late) to pursue your goals
With no need to step foot on campus, you’ve got time on your side. Through OUA, you can:
- Find the right degree for you – We can guide you in your selection from over a hundred degrees, and over a thousand subjects, from leading Australian unis.
- Start studying, regardless of history – We offer single undergraduate subjects from full degrees without any entry requirements.
- Gain credit towards your degree – Apply for credit for past study, or your work experience, and finish faster.
- Graduate with a degree from a leading uni – Study through us, but graduate with exactly the same university degree as on-campus students.
- Feel supported from start to finish – Our Student Advisors can guide you in the right direction and help with your enrolment.